September 29, 2013

A KorK Original Recipe: How To Make Homemade Butter!


Happy Sunday KorKers!

     I hope you’ve all had a great weekend with this new adjustment to the weather called Fall. I have to admit, I’m rather excited for sweater weather. It allows for you to dress comfortably, which is a plus. Besides the casual change in the weather, all of the fall foods are reemerging, including Pumpkin Spices in various foods, to just continuously remind us that the holidays are slowly approaching.

     With most food, seasonal or not, there is usually a constant ingredient that we all purchase and use: butter. We really do take modern technology for granted; especially with how quickly our foods can be mass-produced, packaged, and dispersed throughout out the nation, especially the basics such as milk, bread, and butter.

     During one of my Communication Arts classes this past week taught by my blogging teacher (who helped me create KorK and is a distinguished blogger herself- [She is the owner and writer of the popular barbecue blog Barbecue Master]); we had a discussion about creating Media/Press Kits and how we would promote a certain company or product.

      Somehow along the way, my professor and I started talking about promoting a blog, which resulted in my telling her of a cool project that my Mom did with my sisters and I as kids- making butter by hand; and she suggested that I talk about it for my blog this week.

     Well, to Professor Cyndi Wittum and my amazing readers- here it is: 
How I Make Homemade Butter.

     What you need: A quart sized Mason jar; a lid from a mayonnaise jar (or one that will screw on the top of it securely); some salt (optional); and one pint of heavy whipping cream (cold or room temperature- either will work).
This is what I mean by a Mayonnaise Jar Lid.
     Open and pour the heavy whipping cream into the quart jar, and securely close it with the lid.


     Once it’s securely sealed- SHAKE IT LIKE A POLAROID PICTURE! (Haha!)
     But really, shake it continuously, whether you have to do it like a Shake Weight, rock it back and forth like a see-saw, or even if you have to roll it along the floor between you and another person- SHAKE IT in any way that you can.

     As you continue shaking, small bits of butter will start to form- keep shaking it until there is a slurry mess, and then continue to shake it until there is a large solid piece of butter floating in the remaining cream (which should now be similar to the consistency of water around the mass). This may take about an hour or so to do, varying on how your stamina is.

     Once you have the solid piece of butter in the jar with the remaining “buttermilk”, carefully pour out the “buttermilk” and place your butter into a bowl. Lightly sprinkle some salt over the top of it and stir it in. That’s really all it takes- you now have homemade butter!

     For me though, I love having some Honey Butter to add a little sweetness, especially to one of my favorite things, toasted blueberry bagels. To make your Butter into Honey Butter, just add in some honey and mix. It’s that simple.

     I hope you guys give this one a try- it’s really simple and rather fun to do, especially with kids, not to mention that it’s pretty delicious. If you have any questions or comments about this project, please feel free to leave them in the comment box below! 

     Also, if you have any suggestions for future projects or topics that I should talk about, please leave them in the comments as well, or on my suggestions page, Facebook Fanpage, or Email me at koolorkatastrophy@gmail.com!

KorK Rating: Kool
Until Next Time!
-Katie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit! Please feel free to suggest other trends for me to write about- I would love to hear from you! -Katie