June 2, 2013

Homemade Whataburger Witch Doctor Drink Recipe- Kool or Katastrophy?


Happy Sunday KorKers!

     Do you remember how on my About Me page (a long time ago, before I changed it), that one of the many things I wanted to accomplish this semester was to make my own recipe for a local drink called a Witch Doctor? Well, I’ve done it (with the amazing help and expertise from my Mom) after searching the internet and not finding a single recipe, and made my own!
TADA!
     You all may be wondering, what in the world is a Witch Dr.? And how is it a drink?

     Well, I live in the Piedmont of North Carolina, and along with being known for BBQ and The NASCAR Hall of Fame, among other popular things, we have a drink known as a Witch Dr. 

     The drink itself originates from one restaurant chain: Whataburger, but the drink is only found in North Carolina (as far as I know). Here you can get some great food, while at the same time enjoy the 1950’s-esque style of a drive-in like you would if you go to Sonic.

     Whataburger’s Witch Dr. drink is (from what I know of) mostly found and made in the Concord, Kannapolis, and Mooresville locations, but I’ve been lucky enough that a BBQ restaurant beside of my college in Salisbury, NC, College BBQ, actually serves them as well.

     The drink itself is a basic suicide (mix of many drinks) of the sodas from their fountain drinks with a lemon slice or two and dill pickle chips (and pickle juice) mixed in. 

     You might be thinking, one of these two options: Ewww, YUCK! or Who would think of something like that or even drink that? Are they pregnant or something to even want one of those?

     But actually, it’s pretty delicious. If you have ever had a Cherry Lemon Sundrop (a soda mostly found in the Carolinas), then you have basically tasted a Witch Dr. The combination of the sodas actually make it sweet, but with the lemon slice and pickles, makes it tangy- which is a refreshing combination.

     So, here’s what you need to make it:
     -Also: lemon slices, ice, and dill pickles (chips, spears, etc.- your pick)

     Directions: Fill up a glass with ice, and add in a slice or two of lemon (depending on how large the drink is). 
    Next, mix the sodas together in equal parts (1 part of each, etc.), then taste. If it doesn’t taste right to you, you can always add in some more of one or another to adjust it to your personal taste.
     Then, pour the mixture into your glass and add a scoop of pickles into your drink with some pickle juice (the juice helps), and mix together well so the flavors can combine. And VOILA! You have your own Witch Dr.!

Another simple way to make one is to combine the Cherry Lemon Sundrop with the lemon slices and pickles!

     This was pretty fun to make as well as delicious in my opinion (I’ve grown up with this drink), and easy to put together. 

KorK Rating: Kool
Until Wednesday! –Katie <3

6 comments:

  1. I love witch doctors! I live in Concord, NC and go to Whataburger just to get it. Also, AJ's Restaurant in Harrisburg, NC makes them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! :) I actually live about 20 minutes or so from Concord, and I know how you feel- I love them too!

      I'll definitely have to check out AJ's in Harrisburg the next time I go- I'll have to see how it ranks. ;) haha
      Thanks for commenting! :D
      -Katie <3

      Delete
  2. Thank You I Moved To FL From NC And No One Knew What It Was . Now I Can Make My Own.. Sonic Makes TheM To InAlbemarle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Salisbury, NC as an 8th and 9th grader and loved the Witch Dr. drink. We got them at a little BBQ or hamburger drive-thruI haven't had one in 40 years! Thank you for posting this recipe and the nostalgic information. You took me back in time! Sherry Teffeteller

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm live in Houston Texas and been to North Carolina several times. I tried a witch Dr for the first time in 1995 when I was 16.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite drink a friend has me try one in 1985 at what a 🍔 in Albemarle nc stably co it's no longer there an the best I've found is in Kannapolis most refreshing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit! Please feel free to suggest other trends for me to write about- I would love to hear from you! -Katie