May 15, 2013

Pinterest Experiment- Chocolate Bowls From Balloons D.I.Y.: Kool or Katastrophy?



Happy Wednesday KorKers!

     I’m finally done with my third year of college (WOW!) and now I’m enjoying some free time relaxing and hanging out with some friends before I start interning and working a leadership camp later on this summer. So, in order to celebrate, I really wanted to try out something I originally saw on Tumblr, then later on Pinterest: Chocolate Bowls made from balloons. These are the pictures (and link) to the pin, which links to BLOGHUNGRY's post on how to make these cool treats!
           

     So, seems simple enough, right? My original thought: “Sure! This looks awesome- not to mention, chocolate is amazing with any kind of ice cream.” Here's what I did.

     What you need: Parchment Paper, Chocolate or Candy Melts, Balloons (Latex or Non-Latex); Non-Stick Spray


     Directions: Spread out some parchment paper on a flat surface. Inflate your balloon(s) to the size of your palm (or however large you want it to be) and make sure they are clean. 
     Take the chocolate, placing it in a microwavable-safe bowl, and melt it until it reaches a smooth consistency.
Before:
After!
     Apply some non-stick spray to the balloon (to supposedly make the removal of the balloon easier later on). Once the chocolate is warm in temperature (not hot- it may burst the balloon!), carefully coat the balloon bottom (not where the knot is) until it has a consistent thickness/layer of chocolate and place it on the parchment paper (chocolate side down to make a flat bottom). 
     Once you’re finished with the balloons- wait for the chocolate to harden/solidify. Once it’s completely solidified, pop the balloon with a pin and carefully remove the rest of the balloon from the chocolate “bowl”- it will most likely be REALLY FRAGILE- before you can place ice cream inside of it and make an edible masterpiece! 
You Could Say We Had Fun With This Project ;)
This was the closest that I could get to a bowl.
Seriously guys- this is the result of the first attempt...A large pile of chocolate madness.
(I still had ice cream and just piled on numerous pieces of this chocolate, just because!)
Voila- you have a chocolate ice cream bowl!


     This project was pretty great, but what I didn’t realize was how challenging and slightly frustrating it turned out to be. It was pretty fun, but my expectations didn’t meet up with what resulted- however, I still used the chocolate with my ice cream regardless (from the first attempt). 

      My main problem though, was trying to get the chocolate separated from the balloon- it’s harder than it looks. I ended up using my fingernails to try and scrape the balloon from the chocolate itself-which was bothersome and slightly time-consuming. 

     Anyway, I hope you guys give this one a try- it’s pretty fun to do, and delicious. If you guys end up finding another method that works better-- please let me know, I’d love to hear from you!

KorK Rating: Meh
Until Sunday KorKers!
-Katie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit! Please feel free to suggest other trends for me to write about- I would love to hear from you! -Katie