May 5, 2013

Harry Potter Movie Night With Homemade Butterbeer! (Recipe Below!)


Happy Sunday KorKers!
     I know that this post has been INCREDIBLY OVERDUE, and for that, I apologize. Thankfully, I only have one more final exam to slay before I’m on Summer Break! (Thank Goodness!) Anyway, as I stated on the facebook page for KorK (if you’re not a fan of KorK yet on Facebook, I highly suggest you go and like the page to stay updated on all KorK news and updates!), this post would be combining one of my favorite movie franchises and a recipe for one of the franchise’s signature drinks.

     If you’ve seen the FB page already, a few people have placed their guesses, and my sister, Rachel, was spot on with her guess of Harry Potter and Butterbeer. Yep, I’m going to share with all of you amazing readers how to make Butterbeer! (my version, at least.)
     Butterbeer is just one of the numerous, and I mean numerous, foods connected to the Harry Potter franchise- some others include Pumpkin Juice, Chocolate Frogs, and Pumpkin Pasties. (There is even an unofficial cookbook [by Dinah Bucholz] for Harry Potter fans, and a Harry Potter Theme Park in Florida that has all of the drinks!) 
Dinah Bucholz's 'The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook'
Along with this cookbook, there are thousands upon thousands of different recipes for Butterbeer and the like over the internet, including on Pinterest. So, when I wanted to make my own version of the drink, I started by researching various recipes to get the key ingredients that I would need (the various measurements came later when I was experimenting) before making the drinks.

     After doing my research, I decided to keep the drink simple. The ingredients I chose for my Butterbeer were Cream Soda, Butterscotch Schnapps (OPTIONAL- USE ONLY IF YOU ARE OF LEGAL AGE!), Butterscotch Syrup, Cool Whip/Reddi Whip (for the topping), Vanilla Jello Pudding mix, and some Powdered Sugar.

     For the Topping: I mixed about half a can of Reddi Whip into a bowl, along with a teaspoon of powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla pudding mix, and mixed. Once mixed, add in as much butterscotch syrup as you want (varying on how strong you want the flavor to be), until the froth is smooth and airy (to an extent).

     For the Butterbeer itself: I took some cold Cream Soda (A&W is the best, in my opinion) and mixed some butterscotch syrup together in a glass (if you are of legal age, you can always add some Butterscotch Schnapps!). Once they are mixed together well, take the froth that you made and make an inch layer or so of froth (depending on how much you want), and top it with some more butterscotch syrup. And VOILA! You now have some Butterbeer to enjoy as you watch a Harry Potter movie marathon!
I ended up adding some extra ice to mine to keep it a little more cool! :)
     I really liked this recipe (even though I’m not a big fan of cream soda) and it was great to have as you watch the movies. Note- you can always find other versions of Butterbeer recipes online, I even found some that were made with ice cream or were hot versions compared to this chilled version. Take some time out to give this or another version a try- I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

KorK Rating: Kool
Until Wednesday KorKers! –Katie <3

3 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to visit! Please feel free to suggest other trends for me to write about- I would love to hear from you! -Katie