April 24, 2013

Mountain Dew Glow Stick/ Glowing Mtn. Dew Experiment: Kool or Katastrophy?


Happy Wednesday KorKers!
     It’s been a pretty busy week for me so far due to finals coming up in a matter of less than two weeks. TWO WEEKS! AHH…the pressure will get to me sooner or later. Anyway, I wanted to do a simple experiment that was requested by my relative Amanda, in which you could make a bottle of Mtn. Dew into a source of light similar to a glow stick. I talked to some of my friends about it at lunch on Monday, and one of them who specializes with the sciences told me that he had actually attempted it himself just to see what would happen. 

     The result of his experiment: A COMPLETE AND UTTER FAIL. With that in mind, I was kind of sure that trying out this experiment would end up the same way; or if by some miracle, that it may work. So, I decided to try it out anyway, for I knew you guys would like to know how it turned out. Also, I love Mountain Dew, so it wouldn't have been a large sacrifice to give it a try! (haha)


     Honestly, the concept seems pretty simple- have ¼ of Mountain Dew left in the bottle, then add in some baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. 

However, I have to break it to ya’ll- IT WAS AN ABSOLUTE AND  TOTAL BUST.

    I had some Mtn. Dew that I was drinking purposely for this, and made sure that I left enough in the bottle. Then, I took a piece of paper and made a temporary funnel for the baking soda (it made it 10x easier) before adding in the few capfuls of hydrogen peroxide to the mix, and shaking it to combine them. 





     Even when I took the bottle into a dark room, it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING- NADA. The mix didn’t even have any chemical reactions other than when the baking soda hit the Mtn. Dew or when the baking soda reacted with the peroxide. So, no glow.



     So, I’m sorry to break it to all of the millions of people who have seen this pic/pin on the Internet…but IT DOESN’T WORK! If you don’t believe me, just give it a try. The picture of the mix being able to glow is probably due to the photographer cracking open a glow stick and pouring it inside the bottle (that’s my opinion).

KorK Rating: Katastrophy!
Until Sunday KorKers! –Katie <3

6 comments:

  1. Well, like the guys on Mythbusters, this experiment was completely busted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for trying it - now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wlee1953@hotmail.comApr 27, 2013, 12:16:00 AM

    well if you will pour the mountain dew out , wash out the bottle , add 1/4 inch of water, 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid, swirl it around, most importantly open (carefully) one glow stick and empty contents in bottle,add 2-3 tsp of 3-5% hydrogen peroxide, a small pinch of baking soda and seal bottle with lid , shake bottle turn lights out and now you have it. some times tha glow stick is difficult to pour it may be just as easy to just cut the stick up and put it in the bottle but wear gloves AND DO NOT LEAVE IT TO WHERE CHILDREN OR PETS CAN GET IT !!!!!!!. ENJOY. H2O2/hydrogen peroxide and phenol combined causes the chemoluminescents BUT they can cause skin irritation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOB...I got a off brand MT Dew to try this over the weekend when I go camping.. I should of stuck with the glow sticks. Good thing it was 1.00$

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinda sad to find this ot, my son was hoping to do it for a class project on states of matter! :-( Oh well I guess it's back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit! Please feel free to suggest other trends for me to write about- I would love to hear from you! -Katie