April 3, 2013

Kool or Katastrophy?: D.I.Y. Decorative Magnets


Happy Wednesday KorKers!
     I hope ya’ll have been having a good few days, I know I have. Anyway, for Kool or Katastrophy? on this fine Wednesday, I wanted to try out my attempt of something I’ve seen in department stores like Kohl’s as well as office supply stores such as Staples and Office Depot- cute little glass magnets that have a design to them. When I first saw them in the stores, my first thought was, “I could make that for less than half the cost, no problem!” So, I pretty much put my foot where my mouth is and buckled down to try it out.

     What you need:
-Cute glass gems (any size or color depending on what you want) [you can find these at The Dollar Tree for $1!)
-Magnets (a roll or even the business card sized ones- you can cut them to size to make them fit)
-Washable School Glue or ModPodge [ModPodge if you’re using fabric!]
-A Paintbrush [a cheap, plastic one will do]
-Scrapbook Paper, Fabric, or a printed picture or design [this will be the background behind the gem]
-An Exacto Knife or razor blade [to cut out and trim the extra paper/background against the gem to give it a smoother look- THEY’RE VERY SHARP, SO BE CAREFUL!]
-Hairdryer- OPTIONAL



A surprise by my sister Sara! Have fun with this project!
     To start, make sure you have all of the supplies [of course!] set out and ready to go! Plan out what gems you want on what background [if you’re using different colors and backgrounds like I am]. Grab the paintbrush and coat the back of each gem with a light layer of glue before pressing it against the image/background/fabric, making sure it’s secure. Continue the process until you’re out of gems or gotten the amount you’ve wanted. Wait until the glue is dry, or use a hairdryer to dry them quicker! Once they’re completely dry, take a razorblade or exacto knife to trim away the excess paper/fabric before placing a magnet on the back. Continue the process until finished. VOILA! You now have beautiful custom magnets!

     I found this project to be pretty cool, especially because I could customize what I wanted as the background and it was rather simple to put together. However, the strength of the magnet can help or hinder how well the magnet works as a whole, and depending on if you’re using a printout of images, the ink can run some (which is the case with mine), but if its colorful or tie dye, you’re fine. I hope you guys have some fun with this one!
KorK Rating: Kool
See you this weekend, KorKers! –Katie <3

4 comments:

  1. Wow I have never thought about doing this,it looks really neat and makes me want to go try it out.Yours turned out nice, I just hope if I do try it that it will come out right:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is reall cool. I might have to try this when I get my own place because you never have enough of magnets.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! Just make sure you get magnets that are strong enough to hold the gems on- the ones I have fall off every now and then, just so you know. :P

      Delete
  3. This KorK post is awesome! I would have never thought about this. I normally go to Walmart and buy some, but this wauy you can have some that no one else in the world has. This is a Kool idea and I'm so glad that you have shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit! Please feel free to suggest other trends for me to write about- I would love to hear from you! -Katie