February 24, 2013

Monograms- Kool or Katastrophy?


Happy Sunday KorKers!

I hope you’ve had a wonderful weekend! Mine’s been pretty busy as usual with working athletic events for my internship along with homework, but it was great nonetheless.

As I was working games this weekend, a friend of mine and I were talking about some popular trends that we’ve seen within the last few years up to now, and the biggest one was of the Southern concept of monograms- placing your initials onto various items, such as shirts, jewelry, car decals, bags, cups, ANYTHING. After our conversation, I knew that I could discuss it with ya'll on KorK. So, are monograms Kool or a Katastrophy?


Well, here in the Southern United States and other places, it’s been popular for many ladies to own something (or everything) with their initial(s) on it over the past few years or more.

I highly approve of monograms for most things. But only if it’s not overdone into such a manner where one or two things that are monogrammed spawns a personal takeover in which EVERYTHING the person owns becomes monogrammed in some shape or form.

When I see someone in town or at college with something monogrammed (depending on how much stuff they have a monogram on), my guess is that it either A- helps them to keep their stuff separated from everyone else in the case of “oh, that’s mine- it has my initials on it,” kind of deal, or B-its because they want to show off what they own or flaunt to everyone else about their status within popularity (no offense).

But I mean, isn’t it kind of ridiculous to have your initials on absolutely everything you own? Sure, I have a cup or two, a pen and notepad, and even a tote bag with the letter “K” on it. But even I don’t carry or use all of them at one time. But you’d think that after a while, people would know what your name is and what things are yours, right? From what I've seen around my college campus, there's a handful of people that have only a few monogrammed items (and they don’t overdo it, thankfully). However on the other hand, there are some people who I have seen who go all out- they wear monogrammed jewelry of all sorts, along with hats, clothes, phone cases, cups, bags, and anything else all simultaneously. My first thought upon seeing them is often, “SERIOUSLY, WHY?” then followed with a face-palm and a shake of my head before I get back to what I was doing and try to forget it. 

Anyway, ranting aside, my KorK rating on Monograms: Kool, but Katastrophy if taken too seriously and gone overboard.

So KorKers, what do you think of monogramming? Like it? Hate it? Indifferent? Do you have any stories about people who over-monogram?

Let me know what you think in the comment section below along with your suggestions for new posts and I’ll see you all on Wednesday! J        
Much love! -Katie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit! Please feel free to suggest other trends for me to write about- I would love to hear from you! -Katie